ATM skimming is a method used by thieves to steal information from your ATM card to withdraw cash from your account.
ATM (Automated Teller Machine) is beneficial both for the Bank as well as for individuals to withdraw cash and basic banking which includes bill payments, fund transfer etc. Still, people are apprehensive of using ATM cards, as large numbers of cases are reported on a regular basis related to frauds pertaining to ATM or debit cards. Of the various types of ATM frauds, a common practice is ATM Skimming.
By ATM skimming, the fraudsters steal the information of your debit cards. It is a two step procedure. The first step is the skimmer, which is a card reader that is inserted over the ATM’s card slot. Through this the information of the card, which is stored in the magnetic strip is recorded. The second step is positioning cameras so as to record the security PIN as you type them on the keypad. At times, a fake keypad is placed above the real keypad instead of placing cameras to capture the PIN number.
Precautions to be taken while using ATM card to avoid being prey to ATM Skimming?
- Cover the keypad with your hand while you enter the PIN
- Use ATMs where the card is inserted into the machine rather than swiping are safer
- If the keypad seems to be elevated or there is a colour difference between the ATM and the keypad, you may visit some other ATM for your transaction.
Recommended Read :
- How does ATM skimming work?
- How to Avoid ATM Skimming?
- Skimming your Cash
- FBI Website – Beware of Skimmers
Recommended Read :
- What is ATM Banking?
- What is An ATM Card? How to Use Your ATM Card?
- What is a Debit Card?
- What is ATM Skimming?
- Cdm Banking How to Deposit Cash in a Cdm Machine
- Lost ATM Card Steps to Take After You Lose Your ATM Card
- Beware of ATM Thief – Methods to Protect Your ATM Banking
- Safe ATM Banking Methods to Make ATM Banking Safe