A debit Card is an expedient way of spending your funds, without actually carrying cash. In the most simple sense, using a Debit Card means putting your money in your bank account and swiping your card when you make a purchase. When you swipe your Debit Card, the money is immediately deducted from your account and paid to the seller, unlike a Credit Card where you have a grace period to pay back the amount.
When you use a Debit Card, you can not spend more than what you have in your account. Hence, this is a good way of monitoring your expenses but also buying things without worrying about going into a debt. You can use your Debit Card in stores, online and even to withdraw cash from ATMs. It is the best way of making payment for things you purchase online. A number of online stores provide great offers, such as cash back and additional discounts, if you use your Debit Card to make payment.
Merits and Demerits of using a Debit Card
- It is more convenient to carry a Debit Card than carrying cash all the time.
- Unlike Credit Cards, you can not get into debts by using a Debit Card.
- Debit Cards allow you to make basic financial transactions such as cash withdrawal, cash deposit, bill payment and so on, easily.
- Debit Cards are way safer than cash.
- Debit Cards do not build your credit score hence, it becomes difficult to get a nice loan rate if you only have a Debit card and no Credit card.
- If you opt the overdraft facility, you have to incur certain amount of fees.
- Anybody who has your debit card and ATM PIN can easily withdraw money from your account.
In case you lose your Debit Card
In case you lose your Debit card, you should immediately inform the respective bank and tell them to block your card, so that there is no unauthorized use of your card. Do not wait for more than a day to report a missing or stolen card. Your Debit Card is your responsibility and the bank won’t reimburse the amount of unauthorized payments, in case you are late to inform about the loss. The bank charges a minor fee for replacing the card.
Some Tips and Tricks
Debit Card is an amazing invention in the world of banking and it serves various purposes. These are extremely convenient and safe, if used and kept in a proper way. These are a great way to monitor and control your expenses. It is always advisable to get a Debit Card as early as possible so as to develop good financial habits. But before you get yourself a Debit Card, be sure to research well and go through all the terms and conditions properly. This plastic card can be used in the best possible way if you are aware of all the pros and cons.
Recommended Read :
- What is ATM Banking?
- What is An ATM Card? How to Use Your ATM Card?
- What is a Debit Card?
- What is ATM Skimming?
- Cdm Banking How to Deposit Cash in a Cdm Machine
- Lost ATM Card Steps to Take After You Lose Your ATM Card
- Beware of ATM Thief – Methods to Protect Your ATM Banking
- Safe ATM Banking Methods to Make ATM Banking Safe